Blog Archive

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Roadside Conference



I was driving along a two-way B road when I turned a corner and saw ahead of me a massive collection of cars and trucks pulled over along the side as though there was some kind of roadside conference. I first looked for the results of a crash, but there was none, however, in the midst of all those vehicles there was one Guardia Civil car and two motorcycles. Apparently all those civilians had inadvertently driven into a police speed trap. That was a Conference of Speeders.

There are a lot more of those events taking place where you drive past the entrance and the time you take to exit the distance equals your speed. Don't you just feel like you've been punked if going too fast?

I agree that there have to be rules of the road and they must be obeyed otherwise there will be even more deaths and injuries than at present. In order to ensure compliance the police will be checking from time to time, of that we can be certain. We should therefore always drive as though the police are driving right behind us.

If we ever want a definition of stress that would be it. To be followed by a marked police car, as I was along this very route which is 13 kilometers, and have them follow me the entire distance is not only stressful, but it brought to mind every rule in the book. I even indicated when making certain turns, although I had to kind of search for the correct stick to make the turn signal. I found it after trying the windshield wiper.

The problem is that drivers have always been thought of as easy targets. The government needs more money they send their officers out to get it from the driving community. They call it a charge to remind us to obey the speed limits or to buckle up, or any other thing they can impose a fine upon us, but it can get to be a very fine line between making money, taxing us, and enforcing the law.

In the old days of transport by horse there was always the highwayman to be worried about. He was the one who suddenly appeared in front of us declaring, Stand and Deliver! This is a lot like that.

There is a way that we can defeat their strategy and that is by sticking to the speed limit at all times. I'm not suggesting I will do that, but it's something to consider.

As I drove along there was a straightaway ahead of me and a car was overtaking another as they both headed along the test stretch. It will be bad enough if you were travelling at 90 in a 80 kilometre zone, but if you speed up to overtake that will only make things worse even though you slowed after passing the slowpoke.

Be careful out there! The Highwayman awaits.

Copyright (c) 2017
Eugene Carmichael

No comments: