Blog Archive

Sunday, October 29, 2017

The cost of fuel




There was a time in Spain when we had very little choice as to what price to pay for gas or diesel. We only had the opportunity to get excited when the dollar weakened against the euro, thereby driving down the price in euros. Perhaps we got a break if we shopped at Carrefour and spent enough on groceries or whatever so as to get a discount coupon.

Then one service station opened offering gas and diesel at ten cents below the market price. Some people rushed in and filled up but the rest of us held back. The word on the street was that what you got at the lower cost was fuel that was less refined and even dirty. We had visions of breaking down in the middle of nowhere with clogged fuel lines and all sorts of other problems. When there were no rumours of that happening the rest of us went for it.

I have been using the lower cost option for a couple of years and in spite of having a service station at the turn to my estate I am trying to think of a good reason why I should willingly pay the higher cost that they impose. I drive a Jag so in the course of a year we go through an awful lot of litres, and at ten cents a litre in savings it adds up to a significant amount.

This is a farming community and the loss of our service station would be a disaster for them as they need it for farm machinery, but I don't. I get my petrol from one of the many stations that have now sprung up as low cost and my car seems perfectly happy. If those guys can sell me lower cost fuel and include certain incentives to keep me coming back, such as free car wash, soft drinks, and air fresheners, why are the others unable to do the same?

I first assumed that they were stuck with contracts but it has been about three years since the introduction of the lower cost so surely it is about time. Meanwhile I appreciate the discount I get because fuel is my biggest expense, especially as at one time we had four cars in our family plus the use of a fifth people carrier.

I think I will not question matters too intensely. It works so no need to fix it!

Copyright (c) 2017
Eugene Carmichael

No comments: